Sunday 3 October 2010

Chilli Jam

I am a huge fan of sweet chilli sauce so thought I would have a go at making some chilli jam; this version is from a Nigella recipe. The recipe called for:


150g red chillies (I used 100g)
150g red peppers (I used 200g)
1kg jam sugar
600ml cider vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)


I changed the quantities of the peppers because when I was weighing out the chillies there seemed to be rather a lot of them (I used apache).


This is what I did:


Pulsed the chillies in a food processor until they were finely chopped. Added the red pepper and repeated the pulsing.


Placed the vinegar in a pan and dissolved the sugar over a low heat. This is supposed to be without stirring it, but I stirred it once or twice.


Add the pepper mixture to the pan, bring to the boil and let it boil rapidly for 10 minutes.


Take the pan of the heat and leave to cool. It will become more syrupy, then change from syrup to viscous and from viscous to jelly-like as it cools.


After about 40 minutes, decant into warmed, sterilised jars and seal tightly.


This can be eaten straight away and is delicious, even if a little (or very) hot. I guess the variety of chilli used will make a difference to the heat level.



This has gone down an absolute storm... even with it's blow your head off properties. I am eating it with pretty much every meal and all jars are now spoken for. I will definitely be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment